Monday, August 20, 2007

Guidelines for selecting the right Tablet PC

When picking a tablet computer (regardless of the manufacturer), user reviews commonly agreed that the more memory and CPU power you can give a tablet PC, the better off you will be. The theory of this is that the digitizing capabilities of the tablet has a tendency to be a bit of a resource hog and if you intend to have a positive experience your electronic pen, give it enough horsepower to breathe right or you won’t be satisfied with the results. I think this is single best advice one should take heed on when it comes to purchasing a tablet. There is more hardware specific advice coming, but let know forgot so of the other items that need consideration such as the Ergonomic Challenges of Tablet Computing (See The Personal Integration Factor).

Because of the horsepower requirements I was having a difficult time sourcing my new equipment from one of the on-line resellers. There are good ones out there (such as http://www.pcconnection.com) that stock a preconfigured systems and if you can find one that fits in one of their inventories - good for you. Because I my requirement for high processor speed and memory, it was difficult to find a model on the shelf that was within my budget. Sure, if money wasn’t an issue, most resellers stock the fully loaded Cadillac’s of most of the major brands. But some of them required a second mortgage on your home in order to get into one. After researching the more reputable resellers, I unfortunately decided to purchase the notebook from Toshiba Direct (http://www.toshibadirect.com). I say unfortunately because of the delivery experience I went through with Toshiba was less than stellar (If you are interested in what exactly occurred, drop me a note and I’ll expand on the events – it was actually an amazing first for knucklehead company policies). Nevertheless, Toshiba’s site let me customize my system with higher processor and more memory at a price that worked. About two weeks later, my notebook arrived straight from Shanghai China and I began the daunting process of the consumers personal computer upgrade (See The consumer’s personal computer upgrade Also see Can you see the Vista / With Web Based Apps You Can?).

No comments: